Thursday, October 9, 2008

Media underload/Media overload?

I was talking to my good friend Anne last night who reminded me that I've neglected my blog for far too long.

 

During our conversation, we got to talking about the extended mute button lifestyle I've adapted to out of circumstance. As I think about the things I've learned to live without, I realize how underexposed I am to mass media and all the news, both relevant and non-relevant, that my mind is free from. I can’t help but think about how this has improved the quality of my thought life:

 

Cable TV:

 

For over 2 years, I haven't subscribed to cable TV. It all started when I was living in a loft with a rent payment that sucked the fun out of my income. I thought, "eh, I could do without tv, I'll just watch dvds." Besides, what's the point of paying for hundreds of channels if I just watch about 5-6 of them? Let’s face it – cable is not a necessity, it’s a desire, a luxury even at some of the insane price points of premium service options.

 

At first, I didn’t know what the hell to do with the time usually spent as a drone in front of the tube. I turned to the internet which is arguably just as addicting, but it all depends on what content you’re filling your head with. I also ended up having more time to accomplish things I needed/wanted to do. I’m far more active now, and I think that not watching TV all day for hours on end is to thank for that.

 

Now, if the urge strikes to watch my favorite channels, I'll do so at my bros. Nowadays my desire to watch tv is pretty much nil to none. I don't feel like I'm missing much anything of note; I get my news feeds online so I’m not totally in the dark of current events – just not overexposed and thoroughly depressed like most folks. I can still catch an episode of Kate plus 8, The Dog Whisperer, National Geographic, and whatever strikes my fancy. I’ve got Scrubs and Heros on queue with Netflix, and I own every season of Sex & the City. I even pop in old seasons of the Dave Chappelle show and still laugh till I cry. No commercials, too!  I’m glad I don’t have to subject myself to the abundance of crap reality shows.

 

All of the reality “stars” are either a neurotic, drama queen, have anger issues, a slut, an alcoholic, a druggie, or all of the above. Just writing about them has dropped my IQ 2 points. Definitely not the kind of lifestyle you should aim to expose yourself to or emulate. If you must watch this crap, remember…everything you witness is how NOT to do things.

 

The Hills. I am quite possibly the only woman in their demographic viewership that is not a fan. I’ve barely seen a whole 5 minutes of one episode that my brother, his GF, my SO, and his brother, were all watching attentively. This show is one of those hybrid shows – a faux-ality show if you will. So wait, I’m confused – does everyone like the “real” them or the rehearsed them. (I’m saying “them” because I can’t remember the names of the main characters). My co-workers keep trying to convince me with their “you should watch it!” promptings, but I just don’t feel compelled. My bros GF wants to go everywhere that “The Hills” go to on their show. Really? Now we’re letting actors make your decisions for you? What happened to deciding what you want, or what you like based on your own self-discovery? I’ll take Yelp for suggestions over two blondies on TV who probably were scripted to be at “X” place that the location scout for the show found for them. What is this power they have over people? I digress….

 

Radio:

 

Like many disgruntled Honda owners, my factory installed radio deck has successfully locked me out of my own radio usage. I called my dealer, service shop, and even googled for a solution. All I found were more stories of Honda owners being locked out of their own radio. It all started when I changed my car battery, which is well over 3 years. Although I had the radio code at one point, I lost it after a fire. That code is safer than the President surrounded by secret service agents-no one knows what the damn thing is!

 

Alas, I had to deal with hearing nothing but road noises until I got myself an ipod. That was better, but what about my passengers? It took me a little longer to adjust, but today, I am totally used to hearing silence coupled with the rumblings of my 11 year old car and the road. Now I never hear the newest top 10 songs when they get airplay, but the benefit is that I don't tire of the song as quickly because I don't hear the radio playing it for the zillionth time of the day, every day until they've beaten the novelty out of the song. I also don’t have to get the 1,000’s of advertising messages that most commuters do. No longer do I need to hear about buying a car at Universal City Nissan, breast augmentation for $3,999, or who to call for bail bonds on Power 106. I can just listen to music that I’ve selected to listen to with a single click of my ipod. When I need a spiritual boost, I switch to my Joel Osteen free podcasts and by the time I walk in the office, I’m a positive woman, ready to conquer the world. At night on my drive through the canyons after the gym, I drive with my moon roof and windows wide open and hear the natural soundtrack of crickets, birds, and other critters. It’s a great way to wind down after a hard work out.

 

Gossip Rags:

 

Combine the absence of gossip mags with my lack of tv or radio usage and what you have is a woman who is totally out of the loop of the latest celebrity gossip. Like junk food, I indulge when they’re available, like at the salon or dentists office. But I’ve never bought one in my life. Whenever I flip through one, I’m amazed at the latest and greatest juicy celebrity gossip that has passed me by. Wha? Mariah Carey is marrying that dude from that one dance off show on MTV whose name escapes me? Huh? Jessica Alba already had her baby and is back in shape after an intensive “baby fat blast workout.” OMG, Beyonce is Mrs. Jay Hova? Ha ha ha ha! I’m sure this is all old old news by now. I can’t help but laugh at how out of touch I am on the day to day dramas and lives of the celebrity elite. I crack up at the page that demonstrates how celebs are “real people too!” who do their own shopping and have an off day where they look like shit (GASP!) – it’s so ludicrous you just gotta love how the general population swallows it whole. Especially when people start sharing the gossip as though they’re actual friends of these stars. What’s really depressing is that celeb gossip news shows like E! are devoted to delivering this “news” to you in live format. Just in case you can’t read, you can get the scoop on tv! My mom is a gossip slut – she is all about the gossip – celeb gossip, family gossip, neighbor gossip, random person gossip. It’s depressing. No doubt it’s fun in moderation, but the level of obsessive ness makes me glad that I don’t get fat off this junk food. I’ll stick to my subscriptions to Women’s Health and Cosmo. Although, Cosmo’s starting to get a little on the lame-o side with the same non-exciting sex positions that entice me to read it in the first place. I guess for the most part I like it for the latest fashion & beauty trends; very little relevant editorial when compared to WH.

 

*WHEEW* That was a long winded explanation! With all that said, I’d like to challenge you to do without TV, radio, gossip rags, and any other media that you abuse for at least a month, and see what happens! Statistics show that it takes 30 days to form a pattern and 90 days to form a habit. Perhaps this rings true in breaking them.

 

Whether you do it by choice or by circumstance, I think you’ll be amazed at the results. It’s surprising how much life you gain when you learn what you can live without.

 

 

 

 

No comments: